What is the accessory that is like a net that is worn by women on the head and that comes all the way till the eyes... it is worn on formal occasions and its is quite old fashioned (IMHO). It is not used to hold the hair on anything I think. Sometimes I have seen that it comes attached to the bonnet...

Update 1: I remember finding the word in the dictionary once.

  • 1
    One of those rare occasions a questioner gives a precise and accurate description of something.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jul 29, 2013 at 19:19

2 Answers 2


I believe it is called a birdcage veil.

You can see a bunch of examples on Etsy.

  • 'birdcage' is often left out especially in Western fashion/non-Islamic contexts.
    – Mitch
    Jul 29, 2013 at 19:30
  • hmm....I thought a veil was always a fabric. Jul 29, 2013 at 19:30
  • @SurajNayak, no, not always; for example, expression take the veil (to take vows) involves neither netting nor fabric Jul 29, 2013 at 19:42
  • @SurajNayak: a wedding veil is usually not a fabric, but a kind of netting that obscures.
    – Mitch
    Jul 29, 2013 at 20:53

Assuming this is what you envisioned, it's a "veil" and is still used by high-fashion hat wearers:

enter image description here

  • Hmm... ya.. that is what I had in mind... Jul 29, 2013 at 19:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.