Is there a special common name for goods sold at public events, such as T-shirts, cups, stationery, etc. being sold at conferences, concerts.

  • I don't know if there is an associated word for the merchandise, but the outlets that sell these goods are called concessions.
    – GetzelR
    Jul 26 '13 at 15:41
  • I always thought that "concessions" were sold at concession stands, but this is apparently not the case. Interesting. Jul 26 '13 at 21:12
  • Not sure, but I have heard people referring to such items as goodies. Sep 2 '16 at 13:38

At music concerts, such items are often collectively called merch (short for merchandise). It might be appropriate to use the word by extension to refer to similar items sold at other large public gatherings, although I don't know whether merch is sufficiently widely known that the average person would know what you're talking about without explanation. Either way, the word merch should be considered slang or informal, and therefore not appropriate for formal communication.

When branded items are given away at such events, they are typically (in the United States at least) called swag collectively, which is also slang/informal.

  • I would say that ‘merch’ is common enough for an average person to understand, but ‘swag’ might not be. I had never heard of it in this sense, for example—if someone were to mention such trinkets as swag, I would probably have assumed that they were in fact referring to stolen goods. Jul 26 '13 at 17:29
  • The terms also depend on your country. In my country, swag refers to stolen goods, and I have not heard merch before. Jul 26 '13 at 17:37
  • @PaddyLandau - "Swag" in this sense is meant to be a play on the "stolen goods" meaning (stolen goods are the best kind!) but it's also a backronym for Stuff We All Get. The most visible giveaway items at conventions are usually the "swag bags" - tote bags to hold the swag you collect at other booths.
    – MT_Head
    Jul 27 '13 at 8:32
  • I should have said: "Stuff We All Get" is a backronym for "swag".
    – MT_Head
    Jul 27 '13 at 19:20
  • Another informal name for free items given away (at least at computer conferences) is goodies.
    – Law29
    May 23 '16 at 14:21

The word I hear a lot for these types of things (especially if they carry a brand logo) is "merch." Short for "merchandise."


Sometimes these items are also referred to as souvenirs.

  • 1
    That is not a special name for "goods sold at public events". Souvenirs are more generally available in tourist shops worldwide as mementos of holidays/vacations.
    – TrevorD
    Jul 26 '13 at 16:28
  • I qualified my answer by including "sometimes" and "also" :-)
    – Frank H.
    Jul 26 '13 at 16:53

Perhaps commemorative material

produced for an important event to help you remember it a commemorative stamp

They also could be calenter link description hereled

  • promotional merchandise
  • promotional items
  • promotional products
  • promotional gifts
  • advertising gifts

In the UK, especially in a student context, this could be called 'stash'.


Items of clothing, usually aquired whilst at University, baring the name of a club to which the wearer belongs and usually a obscure nickname picked up in Freshers' Week. Every club or team likes to believe that they have the best stash. Highly desirable at universities like Durham, UK.

Tarquin: "Shall we do a Bailey bar crawl in our Tennis Stash?"
Rupert: "Oh golly! That would be delightful!"

-- urbandictionary.com

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.