In computer terms, sometimes there is a need to distinguish between items in a list that are checked (e.g. lists that have a checkbox next to them) and items that are selected (e.g. user clicks on one or more rows in a table) because sometimes items can be checked and selected at the same time. What are some other words that can be used to describe them so that it is clear and unambiguous for other languages as well, because apparently checked and ticked are confusing between English and American speakers.

I am looking for terms like 'marked', 'flagged', keeping in mind that they would ideally also serve as a noun and verb.

Yes, it is one of those questions that gets stuck between both worlds. The reason to ask it here is because it is something that needs to be shown to a normal user, and that they would have to understand it. To programmers it doesn't matter as long as there is some rule to define the different behaviours (as you see on the screen).

I wanted to know whether the term is appropriate for other languages, and also whether it is generally clear or slightly unambiguous or unintuitive.

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by TrevorD, p.s.w.g, MetaEd, Mitch, tchrist Jul 28 '13 at 13:44

  • This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Should probably belong in UX.stackexchange.com – Nicholas Shanks Jul 25 '13 at 7:26
  • 1
    What does "checked" item mean? To select is to "choose" To check could mean in your case, "confirm". – Mari-Lou A Jul 25 '13 at 8:37
  • 3
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is belongs in UX.stackexchange.com – TrevorD Jul 25 '13 at 11:03
  • 1
    @KristinaLopez I did think about that - but also thought that the programming site might have better ideas for the desired naming that ELU. – TrevorD Jul 25 '13 at 17:37
  • 1
    @TrevorD Thanks, I later checked in the dictionary! – Mari-Lou A Jul 29 '13 at 22:49

The terminology I would use would be checked (or marked) and highlighted. The checkbox is checked and the row next to it can be highlighted. Both of these terms can serve as a noun and a verb.

  • That sounds reasonable. – Mari-Lou A Jul 25 '13 at 8:39
  • +1. Same thing I would say, except I’d be more likely to use ‘ticked’ than ‘marked’, which would be ambiguous to me. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 25 '13 at 15:39

I would call it either

one active row is assumed ⇒ active, current or hovered item

multiple active rows are assumed ⇒ activated items

UX Thoughts

To my mind highlighted fits only when it exposes that something's been highlighted and is insignificant in terms of data processing workflow (I mean it may be quite meaningless in terms of your application's domain logic).

So if I want user to be able to include (check) preferences and activate some of them (right now) I use activated preferences.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.