Yes I know I can check the dictionary. But I can't find this part.

Additive is both noun and adjective. The antonym for the adjective usage is subtractive, because it's an adjective too. But I can't find a noun antonym for the additive as a noun.

  • 2
    Many nouns don't have opposites. What is the opposite of "table"? Perhaps you could describe what sort of item you would expect to be the opposite of an additive. – Asad Saeeduddin Jul 21 '13 at 7:56
  • Actually I search for a name for anything that might be reduces from anything else. In other words, things like tax, like discount, like credit, etc. etc. would be categorized in this concept. – Saeed Neamati Jul 21 '13 at 8:00
  • Additive generally refers to food or chemistry, where the antonym is extract or precipitate. There are other words used in domains like math (subtrahend) and finance (discount), but you wouldn't normally use additive in those domains. – Bradd Szonye Jul 21 '13 at 8:08

Additive usually refers to a chemical compound or foodstuff. A portion removed from such a substance is an extract. The specific case of a solid removed from a solution is a precipitate.

Tax and finance use a variety of words for subtraction (discount, deduction, debit, credit), and the mathematical term is subtrahend, but the word additive is not usually used in those domains. Likewise, documents and works of art don't usually have additives, but a portion removed from a document is sometimes called an extract just like a substance is; excerpt is also common.

Related terms used in arithmetic equations:

  • augend + addend = sum

  • minuend – subtrahend = difference

  • multiplicand × multiplier = product

  • dividend ÷ divisor = quotient

Augends, addends, minuends, and subtrahends are all collectively called terms. Multiplicands, multipliers, dividends, and divisors are all collectively called factors.

  • Does subtrahend have an antonym? That would be useful for me. A number that is added to another number. – Saeed Neamati Jul 21 '13 at 8:11
  • @SaeedNeamati "Augend" and "addend". – Asad Saeeduddin Jul 21 '13 at 8:13
  • Nice findings guys. Is there a general term for to encompass both addend and subtrahend? Something that denotes base value modifier? – Saeed Neamati Jul 21 '13 at 8:18
  • @SaeedNeamati Operand, perhaps? – Asad Saeeduddin Jul 21 '13 at 8:47

English is indeed a very vibrant language. There will not necessarily be an antonym to every noun. Therefore, in a manner of speaking, I would use some of the following expressions to express the idea of "something subtracted".

devoid of
in the absence of 
without any (carbohydrates, sugar, fat etc for instance)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.