The feeling when a person wants to puke, is termed "nauseous". What if a person wants to excrete? What is that feeling called?

  • 3
    Some people hold that nauseous is something that causes nausea, after which point one is nauseated. Under that system, a nauseous person is a nauseating person rather than a nauseated one. See the difference? Doesn’t matter: most people know no better and care less.
    – tchrist
    Jul 14 '13 at 16:07
  • 2
    It depends on what sort of thing is being excreted. If it’s a phlegmatic discharge, then we could call them sneeze, and if it’s a lachrymose discharge, weepy. However, it doesn’t quite work to call someone who needs to take a leak pissy, as that means something else, and drippy sounds like a plumbing problem.
    – tchrist
    Jul 14 '13 at 16:19
  • 2
    I'm not sure about a single word but how about "the urge to go"? Jul 14 '13 at 16:29
  • 3
    There is no single word, informal or medically technical for this. The term is 'feeling the need to defecate/urinate'. 'Urgency' or 'incontinence' are slightly different things. 'Tenesmus' is the feeling of not having done enough after having excreted. Informally, you say of yourself. 'I gotta go', and then your parents say 'number 1 or number 2', which tells them if they can just have you go by the side of the road or if they have to get off at the next exit. I found this by googling 'feeling the need to urinate'.
    – Mitch
    Jul 14 '13 at 16:30
  • 1
    @Mitch Wrong. An informal term for 'urgently needing to urinate' is bursting. (I think 3 out of the first 10 of 3.7 million Google hits for 'I was bursting' fit.) Jul 14 '13 at 16:53

There is no such word in English (compare to the Swedish suffix "-nödig" which means "needy" and can be attached to nouns and verbs such as "wee" or "poop" or "vomit".)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.