In the context of "people who learn a foreign language".

For example:

Most of the time, people learn a foreign language for professional reasons.

Which words can replace the word "people" here?

closed as too broad by tchrist, p.s.w.g, MetaEd, choster, Matt E. Эллен Jul 15 '13 at 8:17

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


One possibility is "individuals," another is "persons". However, we really need to know what "kind" of "people" you are referring to to be more helpful.

  • Thank you for the answer. I mean "people who learn a foreign language." – Burak Jul 12 '13 at 5:29
  • Perhaps "professionals," or "scholars" might work. – Patrick T. Randolph Jul 12 '13 at 5:37
  • Your answer was helpful in two ways. First, I was able to find more words when I think about the context, "what kind of people I am referring to". Also, individuals is indeed a more decent word to use here. So, thank you! – Burak Jul 12 '13 at 5:52
  • I don't know what you mean by "a more decent word", but there is nothing at all wrong with the word people in your sentence. – TrevorD Jul 12 '13 at 11:17
  • Or you could say ". . . students of foreign languages have professional reasons." – bib Jul 12 '13 at 12:36

You don't need to use the word people or one of its synonyms at all if you put the sentence into the passive:

Most of the time, a foreign language is learned for professional reasons.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.