What word describes the feeling one has, similar to frustration, in the face of naïveté or obliviousness. The feeling might be associated with a sigh or in particularly bad cases a “face-desk” or face-palm.

Interested in descriptive, interesting, or unusual words rather than common words.

  • 5
    Exasperation might fit; although I don't know if that's descriptive, interesting, or unusual enough for your liking. – J.R. Jul 8 '13 at 1:24
  • 1
    Don't mind exasperation, but I'm interested in finding a word I don't know or haven't come across. Appreciate my question might be too localized. – Hugh Jul 8 '13 at 1:30
  • 1
    Well, in that case, maybe you could try goat-getting? I'm guessing you haven't come across that one yet. :^) – J.R. Jul 8 '13 at 1:34
  • 1
    Stupefying disbelief? – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jul 8 '13 at 2:08
  • 1
    Astonishing is a good word :) – mplungjan Jul 8 '13 at 8:01

You could possibly be nonplussed by a person's behaviour under those circumstances.

Addendum: Just to clarify slightly, in line with the comments below, as I hadn't realised this word carries somewhat different meanings, depending on where you are located. The meaning I had in mind was:

nonplussed adjective (of a person) surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react.

  • Nonplussed means to be indifferent. Halfway between exasperated and its antonym "delighted". If you re-edit your answer I might feel less vexed. :) – Mari-Lou A Jul 21 '13 at 6:38
  • 1
    @Mari-LouA, not on the right-hand side of the pond. – Brian Hooper Jul 21 '13 at 9:41
  • In light of your correction, if @user48193 edits his answer, I will change my vote. As it is I am not allowed by ELU rules. – Mari-Lou A Jul 21 '13 at 10:37
  • +1 now! Sorry, I was unaware of nonplussed double meaning. – Mari-Lou A Jul 23 '13 at 0:36

I'm interested in finding a word I don't know or haven't come across.

  • OED has no citations for ‘abawed’ after 1532, perhaps a bit too archaic. ‘Gloppen’ is a verb, the adjective is ‘gloppened’. ‘Obmutescent’ doesn’t really carry the meaning of being exasperated at someone’s naïveté—it just meant ‘persistently silent’. ‘Discombobulated’ is more being disconcerted or uncomfortable than actually exasperated or frustrated. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 21 '13 at 14:18
  • Thanks, edited gloppen. I opted for obmutescent because it's similar to dumbfounded, in that a person is speechless in a "face-palm" moment. Only the moment is prolonged. I know it's a stretch, but OP can decide for himself which, if any, he prefers. – Mari-Lou A Jul 21 '13 at 14:26
  • 2
    ‘Dumbfounded’ is different, because it’s a passive participle of a transitive verb: it implies having been made to be silent from something that just leaves you speechless. ‘Obmutescent’, on the other hand, is active and doesn’t carry this nuance. Rather, it seems to be used mostly of people or objects that are forced to silence by someone in power, or stubbornly remain stony-faced and silent even when beseeched. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 21 '13 at 14:32
  • I've 1+ your comment because I agree but nevertheless it reminded me of the Italian, muto, which can be used as an imperative: "shut up" or to describe when someone is so shocked or so surprised as to be struck dumb. Perhaps it does not fit exactly the OP's requisite but it is fairly rare and quite interesting and that is why I suggested the word. – Mari-Lou A Jul 21 '13 at 17:49
  • Quite happy with archaic words. (It would be quite greedy to ask for unusual words in regular use!) I think obmutescent and abawed are definitely relevant and get an upvote because they're new and unusual, though I think dumbfounded captures the situation better. – Hugh Jul 22 '13 at 0:11

Personally, I enjoy flummoxed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.