I want to refer to people who have completed a short written exercise. "Graduate" would be one way, but that seems a little over the top. "Completer" would be another, but that's ambiguous as a completer could be something that helps you to complete. Any ideas?

  • A completer is not necessarily one who has completed, it could be someone tasked with completing as well. One way of expressing the idea is perhaps to use the phrase the completed: "The completed must remain in their seats and not leave the room."
    – Kris
    Commented Jul 4, 2013 at 9:34
  • Nice idea Kris. I don't think it would work in this context though as in a sentence you get "exercise completed" which sounds like a completed exercises. Commented Jul 4, 2013 at 9:45
  • You don't need the exercise part as an adverb there. Even otherwise, those who passed the exam may call themselves (some-exam) passed and those who completed may call themselves (some-exam) completed.
    – Kris
    Commented Jul 4, 2013 at 9:54
  • I should have mentioned, this will form part of an API, I want to be able to say exercise.first.graduates or similar. Commented Jul 4, 2013 at 10:27
  • 2
    "those who completed" or "have completed"
    – mplungjan
    Commented Jul 4, 2013 at 11:40

1 Answer 1


A nice unambiguous term is those who have completed the test.

However, finisher is often used for those who have crossed the finish line in a race, and may work in your case.

finisher noun
1 a person or thing that finishes something, in particular:
   • a person who reaches the end of a race or other competition:
        all finishers will receive a commemorative medal


  • I like that a lot. Congratulations to all the Exercise Finishers... Commented Jul 4, 2013 at 10:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.