Is there an adjective meaning “from or pertaining to the British Isles” (or if you prefer “from Great Britain, Ireland or surrounding islands”, or “from the Atlantic Archipelago”, or whatever floats your boat)? I'm obviously not looking for British, but for a term that could be acceptable to an Irish person. I'm primarily looking for an adjective applicable to concepts relating to this geographical region, but if there's a demonym, that would be interesting too.

In other words, if Webster's is English beer, Tennent's is Scottish beer, both are British beer, and Guinness is Irish beer, what adjective can apply to all three?

  • 1
    If there was a suitable term that didn't upset the Irish, I don't suppose there'd be a Wikipedia page on the British Isles naming dispute. But apart from the Irish themselves, no-one (including the English) really distinguishes much between, say, British and English, or worries about whether The British Isles includes Ireland or not. Jun 29 '13 at 22:54
  • @FumbleFingers What are The British Isles? Surely you meant the British Isles.
    – tchrist
    Jun 29 '13 at 23:23
  • 1
    @tchrist: Nah. Lots of isles and islands are "British ordinaire" (the Falklands, for example). But Ireland is privileged to be part of The British ones! :) Jun 29 '13 at 23:55
  • What's the adjective for Germany and Poland.
    – user50210
    Aug 13 '18 at 10:59
  • @KeithLoughnane There is none, but that's unsurprising given that “Germany and Poland” is an arbitrary union of two geographical areas that do not form a geologically or politically relevant set, unlike the British Isles. Aug 13 '18 at 11:33

The name of the British and Irish Lions suggests that, in practice, the term you seek is "British and Irish".

  • You know, I almost find the idea of there being ‘Britirish Islanders’ perversely appealing. :)
    – tchrist
    Jun 30 '13 at 1:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.