What do we call the words which are inherited from other languages (like avatar,yoga etc)? Is there a single word for the class containing these words? As for example, in hindi, some words are directly taken like school, and we call these "videshaj" in hindi meaning taken from foreign(videsh).


Words borrowed into English from non-English languages are sometimes called loanwords Examples of such might include Zeitgeist, façade, jalapeño, sushi.

However, that “loanword” status is soon dropped as the word spends more time in our mouths, and the origin of the word is no longer considered worth pointing out. For example, we no longer think of words like canyon or tobacco or tomato as coming from “somewhere else”. After all, every word has to have come from somewhere once upon a time.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.