I am writing a letter to an official body and I need to say that my friend will be staying in my flat. Is it correct to say that "I am able to accommodate my friend in my 2 bedroom flat at address" (specified above).

  • 1
    Writing advice is off-topic here. However, that said, your “am able to accommodate” should just be “can house” and your “2 bedroom flat” should be “two-bedroom flat”.
    – tchrist
    Commented Jun 23, 2013 at 17:32
  • Is the official body the grammar police? Commented Jun 23, 2013 at 18:30

1 Answer 1


It is not incorrect (except that as tchrist noted, 2 bedroom flat should be two-bedroom flat). It is true that accommodate has a sense “To provide housing for; to furnish with something desired, needed, or convenient; as, to accommodate a friend with a loan or with lodgings” that applies.

Note that the phrases “I am able to” and “able to accommodate” may sound slightly stilted to American English speakers. For U.S. usage I suggest something like “My friend can stay at my two-bedroom flat at «address»” or “My friend can stay in the other bedroom of my flat at «address»”. People also will say “My friend can stay in my two-bedroom flat at «address»”.

  • The phrases “I am able to” and “able to accommodate” also sound slightly stilted to this British English speaker.
    – TrevorD
    Commented Jun 23, 2013 at 23:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.