I'm a computer programmer and I'm working about this problem. I must say that I'm not very familiar with British English and I'd like to know when the word and is used in the numbers. The perfect answer for me will be something like "The word and is used with numbers not divisible by 10" (something mathematical). But all answers will be appreciated.

  • Voting to close as general ref, but to answer your question: British usage is to use "and" with numbers > 100 which are not divisible by 10. For instance: "Two hundred and thirty-five" but not "Three hundred". American usage does not use the "and" at all. – Lynn Jun 5 '13 at 4:57
  • 2
    Make that 'not divisible by 100', Lynn. "Two hundred and thirty" – Edwin Ashworth Jun 5 '13 at 9:10

For British English, numbers greater than 100 and less than 1000 always include and between the “hundreds” figure and the other part:

Three hundred and forty-two
Four hundred

Numbers greater than 1000 include and between any “hundreds” figure and the figure less than 100, and then state the multiple:

Five thousand, three hundred
Three hundred and forty-two thousand, two hundred and fifty-one
One million, three hundred thousand, four hundred and twenty
Two thousand, three hundred and sixty-two million

That is, any of the three-figure groups in a large number follow the first rule before stating the multiplier.

| improve this answer | |

Find out the result. All numbers numbers above 100 that are not divisible by 100 includes the word and.

| improve this answer | |
  • Numbers above 100 and not divisible by 10 include 'and'? So you'd say 'Two hundred fifty'? Interesting, as this is certainly not the case with spoken Australian (and I would've thought British) English. We'd say 'Two hundred and fifty'. – Stuart Allen Jun 5 '13 at 6:06
  • Snubian, British people also say 'Two hundred and fifty'. – Tristan Jun 5 '13 at 11:38
  • Note that the answer has been edited, rendering Snubian's comment irrelevant. – Colin Fine Jun 5 '13 at 16:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.