Does the sentence fragment after the simulated pagebreak (the horizontal rule) have a specific term associated with it?

     The start of a new paragraph includes an indent as shown here. Following the page-break that occurs hereabouts

the next line does not have an indent because it is part of the paragraph previously indented and not the beginning of a new paragraph. In HTML markup the single Paragraph element is split into two distinct Paragraph elements because the page Division is a parent container and each Paragraph may have one parent. A text-indent style is applied to all Paragraph elements by default and must be overridden by a named class applied to each fragment of the given type. I had been using the class name 'continuance' and then shortened that to 'c9e' for 'c' + 9 letters + 'e'. Is there a better (appropriate) name for this?

  • The typographical term widow is related, although it generally only applies when the last line or two of a paragraph is left dangling on the page. – Bradd Szonye May 30 '13 at 19:07
  • 3
    It is usually referred to as the continuation of the sentence. – Matt May 30 '13 at 19:07
  • 1
    @BraddSzonye Yes: a single word or line which goes over the page break and appears on its own at the top of a page is called an orphan. – Andrew Leach May 30 '13 at 19:08
  • 1
    Also, FYI, in typography, paragraphs don't usually begin with an indent. – Matt May 30 '13 at 19:08
  • Apologies -- I initially misunderstood your question and improperly voted to close it. – StoneyB on hiatus May 30 '13 at 21:50

I don't know of any word used specifically for the continuation of a sentence or paragraph on a new page, though the more general term continuation works. In newspaper publishing, if an article starts on page 1 and continues on page 8 of the same edition, then page 8 is called a jump page: that's not what you're seeking but is thematically related, and if you're naming a CSS class, jump may be to your liking.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.