I want to know what that brown and slightly roughly-textured paper is called, or whether there even is a word for it.


3 Answers 3


If the brown bits are spots, it would be called foxing:-

brownish spots on old paper

  • +1. Beyond "spotted", even if then whole (every) page is brown, it's still foxing: "the whole page is foxed","my goodness, the entire volume is foxed". For the OP, the pages are brown for the same reason a cut apple turns brown, or a banana turns brown, or a iron gate turns brown (or a silver coin turns black): foxing is a synonym for oxidation.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46

parchment paper is old writing paper, there's also blotting paper, which is like parchment paper but went under the parchment to absorb excess ink.

You can call it parchment paper or just parchment, both are correct.

  • Parchment is a predecessor of modern paper: parchment-like paper may well be what OP is looking for. Commented May 29, 2013 at 9:18

You can you use any of the following: "Antique Paper", "Old Paper", or if you want it technical and associate it with design, you can use "Sepia Grunge Texture". Hope that helps..

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.