A slime monster like The Blob makes what movement? Slither is too snake like. I've thought of words like "gloop" and "drip", but it doesn't convey movement.

  • The one collocation I could find is slide which is not at all that impressive!
    – Kris
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 7:27

2 Answers 2


They ooze, in the sense given here:

The sluggish flow of a fluid.

or here

to move or pass slowly or gradually, as if through a small opening or passage:

In fact, recent versions of D&D have classified such monsters as "oozes".

I might also describe such a motion as creeping, assuming that it was moving slowly. If the monster were to be moving more rapidly, than flowing might be appropriate. Glancing at some articles about slime molds, it seems the term streaming is used to describe their peculiar type of motion.

  • Ooze and seep are nearly synonymous. However, try finding some usage examples, because I am a bit unconvinced. I think both the words related to movement 'through' something or such.
    – Kris
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 7:21
  • ooze is most certainly the term here. maybe you can verb the noun "slime" as well, like "The Blob slimed along." I wouldn't mind, though others might...
    – Claudiu
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 7:31
  • 1
    No, no, "slime" is a transitive verb, describing what happens when the monster in motion collides with you. See Ghostbusters. :)
    – user32047
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 13:59
  • 1
    @Kris Ooze is appropriate here because a "slime monster" tends to move as if it were oozing out of an opening. Imagine the motion of pus across your skin as it oozes out of a sore; that's the connotation we want in this context. I already provided a link that attests to this more general sense.
    – starwed
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 16:11
  • 3
    seep is what happens when a liquid slowly suffuses into a porous surface. ooze is what slime does.
    – Kit Z. Fox
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 16:24

Here's a web page that tells you how snails move, and another that tells you how slugs move. Think of a "slime monster" as a giant snail or slug, both of which are little slime monsters. Because they both create "rhythmic waves of muscular contraction on the underside of [their] foot", you can say that they undulate.

This kind of question can easily be answered with a little bit of searching. First, ask the question: "How do snails move?" Then put the question into a browser's search window. The use a thesaurus to find synonyms for, in this case, wave, and you'll find undulation. Then go find the verb undulate in the the thesaurus

  • 1
    The Blob was more an amoebic entity than a snail or slug; undulate is probably the wrong word there.
    – starwed
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 16:07
  • @starwed: I don't remember the movie. I just took my cue from the word "slime". Actually, if you watch the trailer for The Blob, you'll hear the announcer say that "very soon, the menace will be 'oozing' into this theater", so your answer is correct. The movie makers thought that it "oozed".
    – user21497
    Commented May 26, 2013 at 16:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.