I am trying to say the word week but focus on the k sound at the end and really emphasize it. I tend to do this naturally in my everyday speech. It kinda sounds like an odd throat sound when I do it. Is there a name for this?

  • Just for 'k' or for any sound at the end of a word or for any sound whatsoever?
    – Mitch
    May 6, 2013 at 1:33

1 Answer 1


At a guess (and without a recording it can be no more than that), you are doing one of two things:

  • If you are merely "overarticulating" the /k/, like an anxious student in a voice production class, you are probably producing a little puff of air when you release the consonant. This sounds like the "BrE" recording on this page, and in IPA it is notated thus: /kʰ/. This is called aspiration; in English it is usually heard only when /k/ starts a syllable and is followed by a vowel, not at the end of a word or before another consonant.

    (An unanspirated /k/ before a vowel is often heard among Indian speakers of English; in many subcontinental languages both aspirated and unaspirated stops may appear in this position, and the difference is meaningful.)

  • If you are really pushing the /k/ it is possible that there is a stretch of time after the release when the tongue is still very close to the palate and air 'hisses' between them. If this is the case you are producing a sound which is not a part of the English phonemic repertory, a voiceless palatal fricative. This is notated /ç/ and is heard in, for instance, German ich, which you may listen to on this page. (Ignore the pronunciation there by Nilreb.)

  • 2
    Here I always the word for over enunciating the final /k/ was cough. :)
    – tchrist
    May 6, 2013 at 2:46
  • Another possibility is glottalization; I tend to glottalize word-final voiceless plosives ([ˈwiʔkʰ]). May 6, 2013 at 8:32
  • Yes, I sound like the recording you posted but I overarticulate the /k/ even more. Thanks for the information and terminology. May 6, 2013 at 13:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.