What is a word for a gap that is too large to close?

I don't like insurmountable because that is a mountain and impassable just doesn't do it for me.

Any ideas?


3 Answers 3


It might be described as a chasm or chasmal / chasmic:


  1. a yawning fissure or deep cleft in the earth's surface; gorge.
  2. a breach or wide fissure in a wall or other structure.
  3. a marked interruption of continuity; gap: a chasm in time.
  4. a sundering breach in relations, as a divergence of opinions, beliefs, etc., between persons or groups

Related forms
chas·mal, chas·mic, adjective

-- Definition from Dictionary.com

Or possibly as an abyss or abyssal


  1. a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm.
  2. anything profound, unfathomable, or infinite: the abyss of time.
    1. the primal chaos before Creation.
    2. the infernal regions; hell.
    3. a subterranean ocean.

-- Definition from Dictionary.com

Or if you're referring to a gap that's more metaphorical than literal, perhaps it could be described as a schism (I know of no adjective form)


  1. division or disunion, especially into mutually opposed parties.
  2. the parties so formed.
  3. Ecclesiastical.
    1. a formal division within, or separation from, a church or religious body over some doctrinal difference.
    2. the state of a sect or body formed by such division.
    3. the offense of causing or seeking to cause such a division.

-- Definition from Dictionary.com

  • Great answer +1 - and incidentally, I found occurrences of "schismically" when I Googled it - although Google tried very hard to steer me to "seismically". lol! Apr 24, 2013 at 22:22
  • 1
    @KristinaLopez Thanks, I figured there was some adjective form, and schismic makes sense, but I couldn't find any reference for it.
    – p.s.w.g
    Apr 24, 2013 at 22:42
  • There's schismatic. It's also a noun, but it's a synonym for heretical, nonconformist, & renegade. And abysmal {also}.
    – user21497
    Apr 24, 2013 at 23:49
  • This is only a "great answer" if you totally ignore the spirit of the question. OP doesn't want a replacement for the word gap that simply means "really, really big gap". What they are after is an adjective to replace "really, really big", and they're going to stick with gap as their noun. Actually, the best word contained within this answer is probably yawning.
    – John Y
    Apr 25, 2013 at 3:54

If you're even talking about closing the gap, then the most direct word that fits your use is simply unclosable. Next after that (and perhaps more applicable to typical gaps) would be Edwin's unbridgeable.

I should mention that some (particularly Java programmers) might be inclined to spell unclosable as uncloseable.


A great gulf. See various versions of the Gospel of Luke, chapter 16, verse 26. For example, the King James Version (KJV):

And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed : so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot ; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.