I'm looking for a single word that describes an application that provides the capability to redo or undo steps. My first thoughts were something like modifiable software, which doesn't really suit my needs, or things like step-tracking software. But all these sound a bit wrong or not on-the-spot.

Is there something better?

  • 1
    Change Tracking or History? – Mitch Apr 22 '13 at 12:54

You might need some variant of "Versioning" or "History", but if you can get away with multiple words, your original undo/redo is well understood by most computer users.

  • It's not important that most computer users understand it, it's meant to be used in sourcecode. I'm effectively looking for a name of the interface (how I should name it) that provides this capability. – SeToY Apr 22 '13 at 12:12
  • 1
    In that case, I'd call it "history". You might get a good answer if you ask this over at programmers.stackexchange.com also. – TecBrat Apr 22 '13 at 12:24
  • "History" should be well understood in this context. Cf. jetbrains.com/idea/features/local_history.html – anotherdave Apr 22 '13 at 21:30

All user actions are reversible.

Def: Reversible

More generally: Reversibility

  • Sounds more like something I'd want... Except that it's not only reversible, it's also the opposite (using the redo mechanism) – SeToY Apr 22 '13 at 16:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.