Without your awareness, a pickpocket will pull some object from your pocket or your bag.
What can we call somebody who does the opposite action, pushing something in your bag or your pocket?

Edit after comments

  1. I asked this question to know if, in English literature or usual expressions, there were an expression which corresponded to this completely unusual behavior; it is the stage that corresponds in a scenario current from limning.

  2. Putpockect put in a text where it is a matter of pickpocket, seems clear, and for no English-language

  • 8
    A pickpocket usually takes something you want. But this "opposite" person, does he put something in your bag that you might like, like money? Or something you don't want, like some drugs, when you're about to go through the gates at the airport? Or something questionable, like a sandwich? "Opposite" is a loaded word. The only sure opposite of a pickpocket is someone who respects your property and doesn't go near your pocket. If someone puts incriminating evidence in your pocket, that is called "planting".
    – Kaz
    Apr 5, 2013 at 7:23
  • @Kaz I understand "planting" ; but when I wrote 'opposite' I thank at somebody pushing money unobtrusively in a pocket of somebody it will never see again
    – cl-r
    Apr 5, 2013 at 7:32
  • 2
    I don't really understand you very well. Maybe try ell.stackexchange.com
    – Kaz
    Apr 5, 2013 at 7:39
  • 6
    @cl-r: When someone explains why your question is vague (the way Kaz did), you should edit your question, not just elaborate in a comment. Otherwise, everyone needs to read this entire conversation to figure out what you're asking about.
    – J.R.
    Apr 5, 2013 at 10:00
  • 1
    Once I discovered a cashier had neglected to charge me for an item. Rather than raise a fuss, I sneaked (snuck? I really need to post that question) back into the store and went through the cashier's line again with it. I told my friends I was "shopdropping."
    – user32047
    Apr 5, 2013 at 10:57

1 Answer 1


Reverse pick-pocketing is in fact the art of placing one's own objects into the possession of another, either for entertainment or a charitable matter. However, the correct, street credible term, is putpocketing
[Urban Dictionary]

So it's reverse pickpocketing. It's something you don't see every day.

  • 1
    Thanks for the link. Put seems the good word. I have never see this, but in literature or cinema, it is an interesting point of vue.
    – cl-r
    Apr 5, 2013 at 9:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.