My wife and I share the abbreviated form of our name - Alex derived from Alexandra and Alexander respectively. As we are married, we have the same christian and surname when used in the short form.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a term for this? I would assume one exists because I know of several examples i.e. Sam(antha) and Sam(uel) Clark the chefs who are known as Sam and Sam Clark.

Many thanks for any assistance.

  • 2
    I’d say the term for that situation is confusing. :)
    – tchrist
    Apr 4 '13 at 21:33
  • Why bring religion into it?
    – Robusto
    Apr 4 '13 at 21:43
  • 1
    @Robusto He didn’t.
    – tchrist
    Apr 4 '13 at 22:27
  • 1
    @tchrist - yep, very surprised by the number of people who don't understand the distinction between Alexandra and Alexander.
    – Alex
    Apr 4 '13 at 22:44
  • 2
    @SouthpawHare: almost worth an ELU question...I looked it up...it's an older (currently not common )way of referring to given name ('first name' in English culture) as opposed to family name ('last name').
    – Mitch
    Apr 5 '13 at 3:20

We just say we're in a same-name relationship.

Chris and Chris


How about homonymic, the adjective form of homonym, meaning "same name."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.