In fields like geometry and numerical methods for solving differential equations we often use words like sub-face and sub-edge, referring to parts of a geometrical object. For instance, a cube has 6 faces and 12 edges. It is often necessary to refer to parts of these objects as sub-edges and sub-faces.. In the academic literature, all three forms ("sub edge", "sub-edge", and "subedge") are in use.. What would be the correct/preferred form to use?

(The word "sub-edge" cannot be found in the Oxford Dictionary, whereas "subface", can be found meaning "The undersurface of a rock formation", which is not the meaning of subface I was looking for..)

See also: Should I use hyphens with prefixes like “sub” and “semi”?

1 Answer 1



"Sub edge" is simply incorrect ("sub" is not its own word - at least not one you want to use in this context). It can sometimes be hard to tell (eg, "subtend" v. "sub-tend"), but when in doubt about a compound word (especially a rare or technical one), it's usually better to hyphenate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.