I'm looking for a particular element for a project and I'm not sure what to google. What's the name of that large brace that is used to group items together? A crude Paint rendition: enter image description here

  • You're pushing it now! We'll be arguing over whether this is a left brace or a left medial brace. – Edwin Ashworth Mar 25 '13 at 12:55
  • 1
    You yourself have already called it “a large curly brace”; why would you need something else? – tchrist Mar 25 '13 at 14:24
  • 1
    This is not a duplicate of 302! This question is about what you call a single large curly brace that is used as a grouping mechanism to span multiple lines. I've wanted to know the answer to that question for many years myself. – phenry Feb 4 '14 at 19:56
  • 2
    In music, the large curly braces that span and join several staves are called accolades. The usage and meaning of this is exactly the same as in your picture, but as far as I know, the term is only used when referring specifically to musical notation. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Feb 5 '14 at 23:33

Braces or curly bracket according to Wikipedia

It is called a Side brace in Visio

Side Brace

  • 1
    The Wikipedia article does not mention the particular usage of braces that the OP specifies. How in-house 'side brace' is is debatable, but I imagine there isn't a more generally used term. tex.stackexchange.com/questions/44330/… shows a sidebrace and an underbrace. – Edwin Ashworth Mar 25 '13 at 12:33
  • I do not know of a specific name for a curly bracket that is used to group things other than curly bracket/brace used to group things – mplungjan Mar 25 '13 at 12:38
  • 1
    There are braces other than side braces and underbraces (and possibly top braces). OP specifies 'large curly bracket' as opposed to 'curly bracket', so I assume he means multi-row or multi-column usages. He also asks what type of brace, not bracket. [Ah - his edit confirms this.] The Wikipedia article doesn't mention these. Your diagram is fine (and was upvoted). – Edwin Ashworth Mar 25 '13 at 12:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.