Is there a verb that means "the act of replacing a word or phrase with an ellipsis"?

"Ellipsize" doesn't seem to be in the dictionaries. Is there a word for this?

  • 1
    I often find 'ellipt' useful (because ellipses occur so frequently) ( dictionary.reference.com/browse/ellipt ). I wouldn't use the description 'replacing' a word ..., logical though it might appear. Mar 24, 2013 at 23:38
  • 2
    Normally it's called "deletion", if the idea is that it was there and taken out, or "omission" if the idea is that it was never there. Depends on what kind of "replacing" you think takes place, and how it works. Here's a list of English syntactic rules, including deletion rules. Mar 25, 2013 at 2:53
  • The long-winded explanation was ellipted from the published text. I like it. Even if it isn't common, it should be understood.
    – GEdgar
    Mar 25, 2013 at 14:09
  • @EdwinAshworth - Exactly what I'm looking for! Write that as an answer and I'll accept it. Apr 2, 2013 at 15:02

2 Answers 2


I would use the word "elide", meaning to omit. It's usually used for spoken language (as in "midwestern US speakers frequently elide the 'g' in gerunds like 'running'), but can be used for written language as well.

  • Think again, using an ellipsis (...) is not the same as elision.
    – Kris
    Mar 25, 2013 at 5:35
  • 1
    From merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elide : " a : to suppress or alter (as a vowel or syllable) by elision b : to strike out (as a written word) 2 a : to leave out of consideration : omit b : curtail, abridge " Thus "elide" has both the meaning of "omit" and "merge"; it is perhaps not the absolute perfect 100% no question about it word to use, but I think that of all the English words, it is probably the best one to use here. Mar 25, 2013 at 6:42
  • (I would be delighted to learn an even better word.) Mar 25, 2013 at 6:42
  • A minor quibble, but in most American pronunciations there is no g on the end of words such as running; what is happening is the velar nasal is replaced by the alveolar nasal. No elision of any sound, but rather substitution.
    – Angelos
    Jun 13, 2016 at 13:54

It's not a common word, but ellipt has this meaning:

to delete by ellipsis (RH)

Oxford Reference gives this definition and usage:

Omit (an element) by ellipsis. 1990 S. GREENBAUM & R. QUIRK In MEDIAL ellipsis medial elements are ellipted: Jill owns ...

  • Did you notice this was proposed in the first comment?
    – Phil Sweet
    Jun 13, 2016 at 15:11
  • @PhilSweet Yes. I'm not sure why it wasn't put into an answer three years ago, but it's the answer that I was looking for when I stumbled on this question. Jun 13, 2016 at 15:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.