Recently I came across this word which means "one's self-clicked photograph". I, however, do not remember where I read it or what that word was. The article in which I saw the word was regarding social networking websites where people place their own 'self clicked' photographs. Does anybody know that word?

I am not sure if that word is from urban lingo.

  • 1
    I have heard self-portraits
    – camelbrush
    Mar 18, 2013 at 15:27
  • 1
    What do you mean by "self-clicked"? Does that mean the person clicks the "Like" button? Clicks on the pictures to emulate higher traffic? Or do you mean the person has simply uploaded a self-portrait, as @camelbrush suggested?
    – J.R.
    Mar 18, 2013 at 15:32
  • The word is 'selfie' as answered by @Si Taylor.
    – Holmes
    Mar 19, 2013 at 8:04

2 Answers 2


Selfies: Pictures taken of oneself while holding the camera at arms length.


Photographic self-portraits:

Two methods of obtaining photographic self-portraits are widespread. One is photographing a reflection in the mirror, and the other photographing one's self with the camera in an outstretched hand. Eleazar Langman photographed his reflection on the surface of a nickel-plated teapot.

Colloquially, I've seen them referred to as self-pics. Twitter, for example, has a #selfpic hashtag where people can upload pictures of themselves, which are often NSFW.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.