which adjective can I use to describe my neighbor, who is always trying to keep eye on my personal matters like what am I bringing from market or what am I cooking etc?


closed as general reference by J.R., tchrist, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, Hellion, Kristina Lopez Mar 8 '13 at 18:34

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    I'd recommend asking a question like this on the Stack Exchange site for English Language Learners... have you visited there yet? – J.R. Mar 8 '13 at 13:33
  • 2
    No, I just came to know about this from your comment. Thanks! – shampa Mar 8 '13 at 13:35
  • The question is closed, so I can't answer. There are a lot of words mentioned here, but I didn't see pry or prying. Just adding that to the list. The expression would be "The neighbour's prying eyes". – ffledgling Mar 8 '13 at 18:40

There are many words to describe such a person: Nosey Parker, busybody, meddler, quidnunc, etc.

  • All these are for the situation where the other person is openly intrusive in to your affairs. 'to snoop' is behind your back. – Mitch Mar 8 '13 at 22:22

For an adjective, try nosy.

For a verb, try snoop.

From NOAD:

snoop to investigate or look around furtively in an attempt to find out something, esp. information about someone's private affairs

nosy (of a person or their behavior) showing too much curiosity about other people's affairs


In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the person you describe is called a neb. The adjectival form is nebby.

A. My neighbor is such a neb. He's always prying into my business.

B. I hope you won't think I'm being nebby, but what did you buy at the market today?


inquisitive, curious, or snoopy can be used.


Keeping an eye on you? The perfect expression for this person is "became your shadow".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.