"My dear Professor, surely a sensible person like yourself can call him by his name? All this 'You-Know-Who' nonsense - for eleven years I have been trying to persuade people to call him by his proper name: Voldemort." Professor McGonagall flinched, but Dumbledore, who was unsticking two lemon drops, seemed not to notice. "It all gets so confusing if we keep saying 'You-Know-Who.' I have never seen any reason to be frightened of saying Voldemort's name. (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

It seems ‘all this ‘You-Know-Who’ nonsense’ make a main clause in the semantic aspect, and for-clause subordinate one showing the reason for the main clause. But there’s no verb in the seeming-main clause. What do we call this kind of clause or phrase? Is there just omitting of verb? Or can a noun phrase make a clause semantically like an absolute phrase?


"All this 'You-Know-Who' nonsense" is a noun phrase and a type of parenthetical phrase called an interjection.


Okay, I don't know the formalities of grammar well, but it seems to me, that we could restate the "All this 'You-Know-Who' nonsense - for 11 years..." as one of these, without changing the meaning terribly:

"All this nonsense - for 11 years..."

"All of this ado - for 11 years..."

"This situation - for 11 years..."

Does rephrasing it like that suggest a proper name for it?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.