I am a programmer working on a chart component that allows to drill down on selection of a node. Drilling down will show the details of that node (like its children etc.). But I am struggling to find out a word to describe the opposite of drilling down. "Drill up" sounds wrong. Does anyone have a nifty little word that conveys the opposite of "drilling down"? Something to convey the action of moving from something more specific to something more general.

  • Not every other sentence must end in a question mark ? And there is never , never a whitespace before the question mark or a period ? Come on , you 've been on the site for so long , you should know better . – RegDwigнt Feb 26 '13 at 10:29
  • @REGDWIGHТ Thanks for pointing . I edited the question. – Geek Feb 26 '13 at 10:33
  • 1
    And you have undone all of Reg's good work. – Andrew Leach Feb 26 '13 at 10:34
  • @AndrewLeach oops blame it on the concurrency handling of the site..His edits were not visible to me – Geek Feb 26 '13 at 10:37
  • I can think of one phrase which involves a rotating tool followed by the word 'up', but it's probably not appropriate. – Simon Apr 20 '13 at 13:47

Drill up is indeed what is used in a large number of instances. Here's an example.

However you could use zoom out to get the larger picture of the data.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I'd use zoom out. – Hugo Feb 26 '13 at 11:05

Drill up or Roll up can be used as opposite of drill down.It makes use of a decreasing granularity showing things more globally

| improve this answer | |

Probably, you can use reverse drill down (or, reverse drilldown).

I found this on a University of Georgia memo:

The opposite of drill down is reverse drill down where the initial view is at the most granular available level, rather than a summarised view.

| improve this answer | |

Maybe you would like one of these?

"back out", "expand out", "zoom back", "pull back", "unspecify", "despecify", "focus out"

| improve this answer | |
  • I'd add "step back" to this list or "take a few steps back". – satur9nine Dec 18 '17 at 20:33

"Drill up" doesn't make sense. "Roll up" also has diverse, different meanings, and I have never heard it used to mean to encompass a more general perspective. "Elevator view" is a good antonym. Less colorful would be "overview." Neither of these is a verb, but no good verb comes to mind.

| improve this answer | |
  • To leave comments on other answers, it's better to use the comment feature directly rather than including them in your answer. – Bradd Szonye Apr 20 '13 at 21:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.