Is there a particular term for the abbreviated language used in headlines (the removal of at least articles and conjunctions)?


Mårdh (1980) refers to this type of language as "headlinese". (Mårdh, Ingrid. 1980. Headlinese: On the grammar of English front page headlines. Malmö: CWK Gleerup.) See also this Wikipedia page.

  • Perfect! Thank you. I suppose I should have known to check Wikipedia first! – Jessie Feb 22 '13 at 17:23

A particularly bewildering headline can be referred to as a crash blossom. This term was taken from the headline: "Violinist linked to JAL crash blossoms".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.