What do you call a verb that by saying it you actually perform the action?

Common example: Apologize -- "I apologize for hurting you." (You just apologized by saying that)

I vaguely remember hearing a specific term for this sort of verb once...


I believe you are thinking of performative.

  • 1
    Yes. That's the term Austin used in How to Do Things With Words. See also the SIL linguistic glossary definition and Wikipedia on "Performativity". – John Lawler Feb 21 '13 at 23:29
  • @JohnLawler: Freddie Ayer (over-) used the adjective in his theories of language, and the OED has a 1922 citation. But Austin was probably the first to use it as a noun. – Tim Lymington Feb 21 '13 at 23:33
  • 2
    And the one that stuck, professionally. It had a profound effect on (then-nascent) transformational syntax. – John Lawler Feb 21 '13 at 23:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.