Do the notes that are folded into paper airplanes and thrown across classrooms by kids, have a special name?

  • 4
    "Paper Planes"? – Mohit Jan 31 '13 at 8:18
  • I thought paper plane notes went out of style with the advent of cell phones and texting. Are you writing a novel that takes place in the 1970s or something? – J.R. Jan 31 '13 at 10:38
  • 7
    @J.R. they'll never be completely out of style while some schools still have no-phones-in-class rules, and while phones are both too heavy and too expensive to throw at someone's head without getting into serious trouble. – Jon Hanna Jan 31 '13 at 10:54
  • 1
    @JonHanna with advent of paper thin and flexible displays, kids will soon be able to type up the note on their phone, fold it into an airplane and throw it without breaking anyone's head. – Mansour Jan 31 '13 at 11:09
  • 1
    @Mansour though they still won't until they're as cheap as paper. – Jon Hanna Jan 31 '13 at 11:26

I used to call them air mail when I was at school, but this doesn't appear to have any sanction in the online dictionaries that I can find (here). The Urban Dictionary has a different, but perhaps not entirely unrelated, definition of the term.

|improve this answer|||||

Everywhere I know, they're simply called paper planes and people know what this means.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Does that infer that there is a message written in it – mplungjan Jan 31 '13 at 9:32
  • Not necessarily, some kids just throw them across the room. – amanda witt Jan 31 '13 at 9:33
  • I believe OP specifically refers to a message delivered by folded airplane - as in "air mail" – mplungjan Jan 31 '13 at 9:34
  • As @mplungjan mentioned, I don't mean any paper planes, only the ones with message on them. – Mansour Jan 31 '13 at 9:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.