Does anybody know?

  • It depends whether he actually works the land or not, or if he rents it to someone else to work.
    – Benjol
    Aug 16, 2010 at 6:34
  • @Benjol give me whatever you have, any version will help me
    – Omu
    Aug 16, 2010 at 6:36
  • These days? You could call them "broke", despite their 18 hour days...
    – corsiKa
    Jul 15, 2014 at 18:35
  • @Laurel - Please don't edit the tag "single-word-requests" into an old question without adding an example sentence.
    – AndyT
    Oct 9, 2017 at 8:45

5 Answers 5

  • If he works the land, you could call it an "agricultural tenant" (also "tenant farmer" , but you don' t want the word "farmer" in there)
  • If he owns the lands, "Agricultural Landlord"

The terms "tenant" and "landlord" are good candidates, but can also be applied for other kind of real estates than farms. Hence the "agricultural" qualifier.

  • Careful with these though. It will end up very stitled if you do not watch out.
    – user459
    Aug 16, 2010 at 10:06
  • 2
    An "argricultural tenant" does not own the land by definition. An "agricultural landlord" lets the land out to be farmed but doesn't farm it himself. If he owns it and it's used for farming I would go with "agricultural landowner" Aug 19, 2010 at 20:48
  • Whether they are a tenant or not seems secondary to me. If you want an alternative to "farmer", I would prefer words like "grower", "rancher", "grazier". Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09

agriculturalist, grower, rancher, market gardener, agrarian......

  • An Australian wheat producer is always a "grower". It is a sign of city-slicker ignorance to call them a "farmer". Mar 28, 2012 at 5:06

"Agricultural/Rural Land owner" or just "Land owner" is also an alternative.


"Agricultural landowner" is your best bet.

"Agricultural tenant" implies that he rents the land FROM someone else (and is thus not the owner). "Agricultural landlord" implies that he rents it TO someone else, which may not be the case you are looking for. A landlord is a landowner but a landowner is not necessarily a landlord.


I like Ross's suggestions, and I think some answers are getting hung up on a secondary issue, land ownership, when the answer should be focussing on the primary thing, that this person does agricultural work.

I would suggest the following in additon to Ross's answer:

producer, grazier, pastoralist, orchardist

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.