Jimping is a term used when describing knives, but I am unsure of what it really means.

See for example this description of a keychain-sized tool where jimping is mentioned, and even lauded for "working well". According to Wikipedia, Jimping is supposed to be a sort of decoration (on the dull side) of a one-bladed dagger (specifically, a Dirk).

Unfortunately, looking for a more precise explanation results, most of the time I am being asked if I just mistyped "jumping". :(

So what does it mean exactly? And what is the function?


2 Answers 2


Googling provided me with the following information.

From ebladestore:

Lashing Grommets/Jimping - These terms refer to notches that are designed into the back lower part of the blade for better thumb control.

From knifehog:

Jimping: Notches down the spine of a blade created to provide grip on a knife beyond the bolster.

A post by Chris Meyer on bladeforums provides a definition along with some pictures:

Jimps (or jimping) is what the groves on tang are called. They look good and help give you a better grip.

These are factory jimps on a new Dovo razor. These are factory jimps on a new Dovo razor.


Because the question has the tag, here's the etymology.

Knife Anatomy, Parts, Names, Components, Definitions, and Terms says:


The old word, jimp that came from North England and Scotland, means neat, handsome, and slender in form. The knife industry designated regular, machined cuts or cross-hatched patterns on the back of the spine of the knife to improve traction of the fingertips jimping. They still call those regular spaced machine-made cuts jimping, but the in the custom and handmade knife world it has evolved into artistic filework. Jimping may be machine-cut by automated slitters, mills, or blades, but filework must be hand-cut. In my world, calling filework jimping is an insult.

The OED has the noun jimp as an obsolete Scottish meaning, from 1513:

1. A minute or subtle point; a trifling distinction; a quirk, subtlety; a tittle.

And from 1572:

2. A trick, prank.

They say it may be related to the Scottish and northern dialect adjective jimp, variously meaning slender, slim, delicate, graceful, neat or scanty; barely full; bare (measure).

Known in Scots since c1500; origin obscure. It has been compared with gim adj., ‘smart, spruce’, of the same age, and with jump adj., exact, precise, which appears later; but in neither case is the sense congruous.

It's also used as jimp-waisted, such as this from 1826:

That bonnie dark-haired..jimp-waisted lassie.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.