Is there a specific name for a portfolio (a type of briefcase) that is used exclusively for holding sheet music?

  • Welcome to EL&U. As it stands this question is incomplete. Please edit to provide context (explain why this question comes up) and to show results of research attempted before asking. Thanks.
    – MetaEd
    Jan 19, 2013 at 22:33
  • 1
    Are you talking about a physical folder or a collection of your work? Jan 19, 2013 at 23:03
  • 1
    @JamesJiao question needs to be answered to better understand your question, then I would ask if the "sheet music portfolio" is in contrast to another type of music portfolio. Jan 20, 2013 at 0:08
  • Is there a specific name for a portfolio of drawings, photographs, etc.? I think probably the short answer in every case is "No". Jan 20, 2013 at 1:06
  • 2
    I know what the OP means. It is a type of briefcase used by music teachers and the like, but I know of no specific name for it. I haven't seen one for a very long time, but I do remember that they had a metal bar of some kind to secure them shut. Jan 20, 2013 at 13:54

2 Answers 2


Not to my knowledge. I've had several conductors, all of which referred to them differently—the most common being folder.


Do you mean these, leather bags with a simple bar closure:

traditional leather music case from the Cambridge Satchel Company

If so I think they are simply called music bags or music cases.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.