In Holland we use commode to indicate a dressing table or lowboy specifically for changing diapers and dressing a baby:


The commode is usually ditched after the babies have grown out the diapers. I can't imagine this piece of furniture being absent in the English speaking world but when I look on ebay, Etsy and others for commodes, lowboys, or chest of drawers I don't find anything related to changing baby diapers.

What would be good translation for the Dutch word commode?

1 Answer 1


Here in the States those are generally referred to as changing tables.

"Commode" to us means "toilet".

  • Or just 'change table'
    – JAM
    Jan 16, 2013 at 16:52
  • Thanks. This is an answer to my question. Actually I need to describe "a cloth over the changing tables", which would be "a cloth over the changing table" as "changing tablecloth" could easily be misunderstood?
    – dr jerry
    Jan 16, 2013 at 16:54
  • @drjerry: Does the cloth hang suspended over the table, or does it lie upon the surface of the table? "a cloth over the changing table" suggests the first (to me, amyway) but "a cloth on the changing table" suggests the second. Jan 16, 2013 at 17:06
  • It's actually suspended over the table, so first meaning.
    – dr jerry
    Jan 16, 2013 at 17:10
  • @drjerry - In the US, a cloth on the changing table would commonly be called a "changing pad" or "diaper pad". "Changing tablecloth" is an unfamiliar term, but I could guess what you meant from its literal meaning.
    – Lynn
    Jan 16, 2013 at 18:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.