Tag Info

Hot answers tagged


The expression "cultural amnesia" would likely come from the lips of someone who bemoans the tendency of some people to forget about their roots, particularly the values, customs, mores, taboos, and ideals which may have once been embraced by a people-group as a whole but have now been forgotten and replaced by different customs, mores, taboos, and ideals. ...


It does prove to be surprisingly hard to Google. In general, my sense is that it primarily means social amnesia, the collective, often deliberate forgetting of something important by a group, with additional connotations of both a culture of amnesia (meaning a culture that represses memories), and the forgetting or abandonment of things of specific cultural ...


It is guess the author's intent without seeing the context, but I would assume it is referring to the failure of a society or group of people to remember important aspects of their history, or a willingness to pretend that their cultural history is other than it is.


The word could in your sentence expresses a hypothetical, yet-to-be state of mind. In effect, the sentence means: "Given the opportunity, I would really appreciate getting away from here. I need a break, a time to relax and recharge my batteries." Another way of expressing the same thought: "If given the opportunity, I would really appreciate ...


Could implies that something might be possible or the speaker wishes it might be possible. Can means that something is possible. For example you might say "I could buy a car if I had the money" - the money condition needs to be true to make the buying possible. If you say "I can buy a car" then you imply that you have enough money.

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible