English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

"Breathing" that's right, that's the word I'm looking for. Obviously a computer doesn't breathe, but what does it do?

By this I mean, a computer, more specifically the system unit or a laptop. On a system unit or a laptop, there are openings that allow hot air that's produced by the heatsink/fan to be blown out of the machine in order to prevent overheating.

The other day I was looking at some Macbooks at the Apple store. Unlike other laptops, the Macbook virtually has no openings on any of its surfaces. So then I went and asked the saleperson on its mechanism in preventing overheating. When asking, it occured to me whether there's an actual word that describes this process/action, a verb that describes the act of sending heated air produced from the heatsink/fans inside the computer out through the openings on the surface of the laptop or system unit by the machine to prevent overheating. In other words, the laptop is not breathing, it's [ ? ]. How does the machine [ ? ].

share|improve this question
Ventilating? Venting air? Blowing out air? Circulating? Air-cooling? – Cerberus Jan 11 '13 at 19:32
Cool. How does the machine cool? – donothingsuccessfully Jan 12 '13 at 8:59
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Ventilating or venting, as Cerberus should perhaps have answered, rather than commented.

share|improve this answer
A human who is unable to breathe may be ventilated as an emergency medical intervention. A room which has poor circulation may be ventilated by introducing additional ducts. In each case, the ventilation is done by an outside active agent. Surely as the object of the procedure the computer is not "ventilating" but being ventilated? – Fortiter Jan 12 '13 at 7:11
@Fortiter: I would say that the cooling is performed by the ventilation system. Moreover, if the ventilation system ventilates, and the ventilation system is part of the computer, then I don't have a problem saying the computer is ventilating. – J.R. Jan 12 '13 at 9:46
I'd just say it's venting. The computer is venting hot air through these holes. Or maybe expelling. – barbecue Sep 1 '15 at 1:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.