Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the word describing the process of converting the source code to the format appropriate for publishing on WWW site (usually HTML format with syntax highlighting, but also wiki format etc.)?

I have problem finding correct and understandable word.

  • formatting is used to describe the process of improving the format of the source code, not converting to other format
  • prettification is usually associated with processing the source code to make it more human-readable
  • beautification - I've met with using that term as synonym to prettification
share|improve this question
converting it from what? I write HTML as HTML, so it's always ready to go. –  Matt Эллен Jan 11 '13 at 17:21
converting it from source code –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Jan 11 '13 at 17:41
That doesn't make sense to me. One doesn't convert source code into HTML. At least not in my experience. Do you mean when people write code but put it in a web page, like on Stack Overflow? –  Matt Эллен Jan 11 '13 at 17:43
You outsource it? :| –  coleopterist Jan 11 '13 at 17:45
Yes, one make so to publish on their blog etc., Stack Overflow has own formatter, but blog engines usually have not... I'm looking the correct way for the tool that makes something like that –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Jan 11 '13 at 17:45

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The term for making code look like it does in an IDE or on Stack Overflow is code highlighting or syntax highlighting.

share|improve this answer

As a programmer I can tell you that source code can be on the server and when a browser requests it the code is converted client-side... when I say converted I mean it is decrypted by the computer to display the results of the code.

"Markup", mentioned in another answer, is just a form of editing.

"Syntax-Highlighting", mentioned in another answer, is what code-writing software does.. when you type your code it changes the color of certain functions so that you know what group they are in... programmer-notes are usually green, software-objects can be purple depending on the language-editor. It's very similar to italicizing a word or bolding a word... this is not the correct word you are looking for either.

I'd go with "conversion".

share|improve this answer

You mark up the code using a markup language.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.