English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

From Steinbeck's Cannery Row,

If one of you fellas wants to kind of edge into my cellar without my wife seeing you, they’re on top of the side stringer on the left-hand side as you go in.

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Hugo, Kate Gregory, tchrist, MετάEd, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jan 11 '13 at 1:31

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Kind of + see sense 2 of the verb form of edge. – coleopterist Jan 10 '13 at 19:59
move or cause to move gradually or furtively in a particular direction? – Vladimir Bezugliy Jan 10 '13 at 20:00
Yes. "If one of you fellas wants to kind of move furtively into my cellar without my wife seeing you, ..." – Hugo Jan 10 '13 at 20:01
up vote 3 down vote accepted

One meaning of edge is to move slowly in gradual bursts.

That might be quite how one would best describe sneaking toward just far enough into the cellar to grab the objects referred to, which the "kind of" emphasises, it's often used when a speaker isn't confident in what they are saying.

share|improve this answer
Not sure bursts is quite the right word; it sounds too sudden and explosive, which is not fitting with a series of small, careful maneuvers. I would just call them movements. – Robusto Jan 10 '13 at 20:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.