English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We have the word "forearm" — but what's the other half of the arm called by itself? Does it have a corresponding positional name?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

In anatomy, it is called the arm. “The term forearm is used in anatomy to distinguish it from the arm, a word which is most often used to describe the entire appendage of the upper limb, but in anatomy, technically, it means only the region of the upper arm, whereas the lower ‘arm’ is called the forearm.”¹

Otherwise, the term used by many people is the upper arm:

share|improve this answer
So just the "upper arm", then? Thanks. – Joe Z. Jan 6 '13 at 22:56
No, what MετάEd actually wrote was that it's just called the "arm" in an anatomical context, but that in general usage it's often called the "upper arm". That is, in an anatomical context it would technically be incorrect to refer to the upper arm in any way but as the "arm". – Iucounu Jan 7 '13 at 0:36

Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary defines brachium as:

The part of the upper limb from shoulder to elbow.

But as MetaEd states, it is also known as the upper arm or just arm.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.