English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

we use the word "suits" to refer to policemen.

What is the word that describes this action? I had read this word in the book "HHhH", but for the life of me, I can't seem to recall it...

share|improve this question
Who uses the word "suits" to refer to policemen? – Kit Z. Fox Jan 3 '13 at 15:58
@MSPune: What part of the English-speaking world do you hail from? I don't hear suits = police being used in the UK, where suits are normally bankers, senior corporate managers and others whose primary allegiance is to Mammon, rather than to human creativity. – FumbleFingers Jan 3 '13 at 17:18

Metonymy (“The use of a single characteristic or name of an object to identify an entire object or related object”) is one such word – as I now see RegDwighт pointed out a half hour ago.

share|improve this answer
+1, just so. dictionary.reference.com/browse/metonymy gives similar examples, *as “scepter” for “sovereignty,” or “the bottle” for “strong drink,” or “count heads (or noses)” for “count people.” * – rajah9 Jan 3 '13 at 17:02
More specifically, it is a synecdoche. – Colin Fine Jan 3 '13 at 18:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.