English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Engrooved isn't a word, so I'm looking for something that carries its meaning. Engraved, accustomed, and other synonyms don't express the same meaning. I'm looking for a word that carries the meaning "fitted to something". E.g.,

The keys were engrooved to the fingers.

Edit: so "adapted over time" is the best fit so far (thanks to FumbleFingers). If anyone has a better way to express this, I'd love to hear it.

share|improve this question
Do you mean "the keys were grooved into the fingers?" ["truck operaters drive on the "warning bumps" grooved into the shoulder of the highway to vibrate off their fenderburgs."; "A character line refers to any raised, continuous, body side crease grooved into the side of a car to give it visual interest." – Kris Jan 1 '13 at 14:24
Can you give an alternative example? Why would anyone talk about keys engrooved to fingers?. Keys are usually made to exactly fit locks, not fingers. – FumbleFingers Jan 1 '13 at 14:26
It would help if you could at least clarify whether you mean designed to be a "good fit" at time of creation (such as ergonomic car seats), or adapted/worn over time (sometimes deliberately) so as to be a good fit (such as the ass groove in Homer Simpson's sofa) – FumbleFingers Jan 1 '13 at 14:45
Does "enclosed" ring any bells? I am not too sure but it seems pretty close to what you are looking for. – Mohit Jan 1 '13 at 15:08
@FumbleFingers: the other keys :-). yes, adapted over time is exactly what I wish to express. – Syn help Jan 1 '13 at 18:41
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I think you have a false premise here. Merriam-Webster Online certainly has an entry for engroove:

transitive verb. : to fit or form into a groove.

I’d say that that makes it “count as a word” in most people’s books. And it certainly makes sense.

share|improve this answer

Worn is probably the word your looking for. "The keys have been worn to his fingers from 50 years of playing", or something like that.

Engrooved has more the idea of grooves being put in something. It would be similar to engrave, but it is more the idea of precision machining (A machined groove), whereas engrave is more precision art.

Response to Edit: Broken in is another one that would fit. This has more the idea of a glove that is initially stiff and becomes pliable by using it. Using it customizes it to the user.

share|improve this answer
I'm not convinced keyboard users (typists or musicians) would actually want their keys to become "worn" at all, but I think in practice that would be the most likely word to use for that exact context. For other similar contexts where you really do want something along those lines I think bedded in would often be appropriate. – FumbleFingers Jan 1 '13 at 19:57
The example presented wasn't the greatest, sorry. No, worn isn't suitable. (Sorry about my pickiness!) As I've said, adapted over time is what I wish to express, but doubt that can be done in one word. Thanks for everyone's help; this community is pretty swell. – Syn help Jan 1 '13 at 20:16
@Synhelp, I've edited my answer. "Broken in" is the closest thing I can think of. It basically has that idea. – Arlen Beiler Jan 1 '13 at 22:07

Assuming you’re asking about the way the keys of a keyboard fit ones’ fingers, you can say,

the keys are form-fitted to the user’s fingers

share|improve this answer
Yes, but I wish to describe that the keys have become fitted to the fingers. But, fitting isn't the best word here, which is why we're here. – Syn help Jan 1 '13 at 18:46
@Synhelp, it sounds like we all hit around the target without a bullseye. Maybe the answer is a multi-adjective phrase that would work best, such as "The keys, after many years of use, had eroded to precisely fit only his fingers, like a glove." – Kristina Lopez Jan 1 '13 at 19:43
pretty much. Adapted over time, suggested by Fumble fingers, is the meaning I'm looking for. (TFD says about groove: a settled and monotonous routine.) – Syn help Jan 1 '13 at 20:13
  • Molded may fit if this is a soft, moldable material such as plastic.
  • Formed is often used this way generically.
  • Sculpted or rounded may be appropriate as well.
share|improve this answer
It should have been a comment rather than an answer since you have given four of them without any surety (you have used "may" a lot) and without any explanations for at least three of them. – Mohit Jan 1 '13 at 15:00
@Mohit: In this context, all 4 words mean just about the same thing, and they all seem to refer to what the OP was referring to, a keyboard, not a Schlüssel or a clé. And because the OP gave no concrete context, may is the only appropriate neutral word. Who can judge what's appropriate? Only the OP, it seems to me. – user21497 Jan 1 '13 at 15:19
@BillFranke, of course, a keyboard! that makes sense now! – Kristina Lopez Jan 1 '13 at 15:29
@K: That's what 15 years of daily editing of non-native-speaker English will do for you. You get good at guessing what writers want to say but don't. Sometimes, though, the murk's too thick to penetrate. – user21497 Jan 1 '13 at 15:34
All decent synonyms, although none are fully suitable for my context. – Syn help Jan 1 '13 at 18:48

I've heard wear worn before, but that would be more for clothing. For something durable, perhaps yielded: Over the years, the ivory piano keys yielded to the form of his fingers.

share|improve this answer
If it takes years for your piano keys to yield, you're going to have difficulty playing in the meantime. – user867 Jan 2 '13 at 0:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.