English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I believe there is a single word that represents what I am trying to say, but for the life of me I can’t remember it.

I have a line graph of amounts vs. time. The amounts are for different currencies. I then have a derivative graph where all the amounts are in one currency.

The second graph is [blanked] to the same currency.

I thought of normalized, but it doesn't feel quite right. The idea behind this word is to take a disparate dataset and to make it the same.

share|improve this question
Refactored is certainly wrong. I’m not so sure that normalized is necessarily wrong, though. But do you mean converted or scaled? – tchrist Dec 31 '12 at 19:42
@tchrist - converted is true, but I believe there is a word that is more representative of the action. More along the lines of taking an entire set and making them the same. Normalize is close, but I think there is a better word yet. – mrtsherman Dec 31 '12 at 19:48
Not sure if I've fully understood but relative? – spiceyokooko Dec 31 '12 at 19:53
@spiceyokooko - thank you for this suggestion spicey. Not quite what I was looking for. I updated my question with a fill in the blank sentence example. Relative doesn't quite fit the bill - The second graph is relative to the same currency. – mrtsherman Dec 31 '12 at 19:58
I'm afraid I too think it's normalized. – MετάEd Dec 31 '12 at 20:56
up vote 1 down vote accepted

How about exchanged?

Graph 1 represents each series in the local currency.

Graph 2 represents each currency exchanged to [reporting currency here] using the [datasource] rates as of [datestamp].

share|improve this answer
I ended up ducking my initial question and going with this solution. – mrtsherman Jan 3 '13 at 0:02

Maybe you are thinking of standardized, to bring to a standard measurement.

share|improve this answer
This has potential. Will see what other suggestions come through. – mrtsherman Dec 31 '12 at 20:00
+1 that would be my choice, too. – Kristina Lopez Dec 31 '12 at 22:08

You used it in your title. I like:

The second graph is consolidated to the same currency.

As with any business artifact, its creation is driven by the intended audience and context. (Is it to the Board of Directors? Is it coming from accountants? Is it to be a standard internal report that has cross-dependent use as a data source? Etc.) That said, simplicity is best. Letting the graph speak for itself. Simply use, “In dollars” as a footnote descriptor to the graph. (Or “Euros” or whatever the audience expects.)

If within a paragraph you need to talk about the graph just say “the consolidated view below.” Where you get into trouble is when you manipulate source data vs. the representation. Then you might include a footer with explicit reference to conversion rate source and date (again depending on proper exactitude of context and use). You probably don’t need to give currency exchange rate source and date, but you do need to make sure the currency values are concurrent, and not – for example – 6 months apart.

“Normalized” is a reserved word in database circles for database design. “Massaged” data is used quite often but not about financial data. (E.g. J. Smith = John Smith, [or does it?]) “Massaged data” intuitively includes rounding errors and such, but it can be pejorative if not careful on a hard report. “Standardized” is rarely used, and can misrepresent – as if all local currencies are inferior to the Euro/Dollar/Yen standard, or whatever. So I would just use “the consolidated view below”. Financial statements talk of “consolidated” funds across global entities.

share|improve this answer

In programming, there is a technical term for that, cast. But I don't think that will convey meaning to a non-technical crowd. I was a fan of normalized.

Maybe adjusted? resolved? translated? rendered?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.