English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A union worker is to clergy as x is to laity. Is there a more encompassing term than non-union worker.

"The city was fined for contracting non-union workers."

share|improve this question
Uhmm, Union laborer. – Jim Dec 27 '12 at 4:34
Nonunion workers is normal, and there is no more-encompassing term because this is the counterpoint to union workers. Sometimes scab (a derisive, contemptuous, & judgmental term), but scabs can be union workers who work for non-union wages & on nonunion jobs with less than union-prescribed working conditions. – user21497 Dec 27 '12 at 4:37
Also see Non-union-affiliated shop steward – jwpat7 Dec 27 '12 at 5:18
If one supposes clergy are not unionized, then x=clergy is a reasonable solution for “union worker : clergy :: x : laity”. Note, question organizations that could evoke x=non-union are “union worker : x :: clergy : laity” and “union worker : x :: laity : clergy”. – jwpat7 Dec 27 '12 at 6:48
up vote 1 down vote accepted

No, there is no better word. The opposite of union is non-union, and these two sets have no members in common. However, their own union is the universal set: everyone is either one or the other, never both.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.