English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If there should be numbers written in words, like "one hundred and ten" instead of "110", how can I say it in one word?

share|improve this question
I don't think there is a single word for this. There are several words to describe different forms of numbers, e.g. ordinal and cardinal, but nothing that just means "written in words", other than perhaps what Jim has suggested. – Joel Brown Dec 24 '12 at 22:26
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think the closest you can get is a hyphenated word:

spelled-out : 2. to write or print in letters and in full (numbers are to be spelled out)

share|improve this answer

You may have said it best in your question: in words. After all, that's how several website tutorials describe it:

This is the line underneath "Pay to the order of" where you write out, in words, the dollar amount of the check.

Amount of check in words -- Enter the amount of the check in words. Start writing at the far left side of the line. Follow the dollar amount by the word "and," then write the amount of cents over the number 100. Draw a line from the end of the 100 to the end of the line.

...the different parts of the check (date, name and address of account holder, receiver of check or payee, amount in numerals, amount written in words, memo line, signature, account information)

Writing the amount of a check in words.

The amount written in words.

The amount in words is written on this line.

Amount of check: This should be written in words.

Term: written amount
Definition: amount of check written in words

share|improve this answer
For what its worth, In words is a far more common and appropriate choice than Spelled-out. Anybody remember Cashier's Cheques........ – KeyBrd Basher Dec 26 '12 at 5:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.