English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My manager is a pretty moody woman. Whenever she feels annoyed or doesn't like what you are doing, she would show her displeasure on her face right away. By reading her face, you would know immediately if she is happy or if you should stay away. If she "wears" a grumpy face, you better learn to behave. In Chinese, if someone has a grumpy look, we say he/she is showing the colour or his/her face. Is there something in English that has the same meaning?

share|improve this question
Wait, is she a good manager or not? – Phonics The Hedgehog Dec 27 '12 at 3:35

You could say that her face is an

open book : someone or something easily understood or interpreted; something very clear: The child's face is an open book.

There are other expressions like to wear one's heart on their sleeve but this is typically used in reference to somebody's love life and not to their mood swings at work (unless their mood swings are a result of the changes in their love life).

share|improve this answer

If I understand the Chinese expression, I think the most common English expression is to simply say she's in a bad mood.

share|improve this answer

This is a case where there can be an advantage in avoiding single words, and some parts of the English speaking world take particular pride in it (we Irish like to think it's one of our specialities).

So, she had a face like a bulldog chewings wasps, she looks like she's licking piss of a nettle, and she gave me a look that would curdle milk are all more evocative than she looked grumpy, and I haven't even started to be imaginative with it yet.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.