English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word that defines the direction of friendship between two people.

For example, when I say "I am friends with John" or "John is my friend". How would I describe the same thing, but from John's perspective.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to write a database schema that uses words to define the direction of friendships. One possible option is to use two phrases "friend with" and "friends to". So that I could describe who John is friends with from both directions.

If this doesn't make any sense, sorry ;)

share|improve this question
Friendship is a symmetric relation. So when X is Y's friend, Y is X's friend as well. – Gigili Dec 24 '12 at 18:56
To add to what @Gigili said, like is the potentially non-symmetric relation. X likes Y but Y does not like X. X might want Y to be their friend but they are not friends unless X and Y like each other. – Jim Dec 24 '12 at 19:07
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Most systems use "friend" only for symmetric relationships. Someone in an asymmetric relationship is typically a "fan" or a "follower" (sometimes a "subscriber" or a "watcher").

share|improve this answer
+1 Thanks, that was what I was looking for. – ThinkingMedia Dec 24 '12 at 19:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.