I have a difficulty to interpret the meaning of "Hip" even after consulting the dictionary.
Let me give the meanings given by online Oxford dictionary:
hip 1 |hip|
1. a projection of the pelvis and upper thigh bone on each side of the body in human beings and quadrupeds.
• ( hips) the circumference of the body at the buttocks : a sweater tied around the hips.
• a person's hip joint : she ran into a fence and dislocated her hip.
2. the sharp edge of a roof from the ridge to the eaves where two sides meet.
on the hip archaic: at a disadvantage.
Old English hype, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch heup and German Hüfte.
hip 2 |hɪp| |hɪp| (also rose hip)
the fruit of a rose, esp. a wild kind.
Old English hēope, hīope; related to Dutch joop and German Hiefe.
hip 3 |hɪp| |hɪp|
adjective ( hipper |ˈhɪpər|, hippest |hɪp1st|) informal
following the latest fashion, esp. in popular music and clothes : it's becoming hip to be environmentally conscious.
• understanding; aware : he's trying to show how hip he is to Americana.
hipness |ˈhɪpn1s| noun
early 20th cent.: of unknown origin.
hip 4 |hɪp| |hɪp|
introducing a communal cheer : hip, hip, hooray!
ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: of unknown origin.
Now please consider the below sentence
Ramu wore a T-shirt with a logo of his news paper and old pair of jeans. He looked unusually hip for someone in a crisis.
what does the hip implies here?