English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I believe there is a special term for words that convey relative position but I cannot seem to remember or find what it is.

For example Sam is behind Mitch in the queue.

share|improve this question
I think this question needs expanding. – RiMMER Dec 20 '12 at 14:52
Have a look at the Deixis Lectures, especially Lecture 2: Space. – John Lawler Dec 20 '12 at 14:56
up vote 6 down vote accepted

They are often called spatial prepositions.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.