English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am searching for a single word which represents "written from left to right" or "written from right to left". Please make sure that the word should be meaning not only the direction but also meaning direction in case of writing. I want to use it like "This language is X", where "X" is the asked for word.

share|improve this question
Why do you need a single word? That seems pretty unnatural. – tchrist Dec 20 '12 at 12:55
Your question seems to be too broad for me. If you ask the same to every asker for a single word, I am sure English would lose its beauty then. – Mistu4u Dec 20 '12 at 12:57
Nit: languages are not LTR or RTL, only writing systems are. The same writing system can be used for multiple languages, and the same language can use multiple writing systems. – JSBձոգչ Dec 20 '12 at 12:59
See this Wikipedia article and scroll down to the paragraph on directionality. There seem to be no such words, only boustrophedon, which means "written from right-to-left and then from left-to-right". The only other single terms for directionality are "horizontal" and "vertical". – user21497 Dec 20 '12 at 13:01
up vote 12 down vote accepted

In technical contexts (the study of scripts, Unicode's various rules for communicating them with computers, graphic use of textual elements) the abbreviations LTR and RTL are very often used.

There are boustrophedonic for scripts which change direction on each line, and words in Asian languages to distinguish vertical from horizontal (e.g. tategaki and yokogaki), but no single word I'm aware of for left-to-right or right-to-left though my reading would be such to make me well-placed to come across them if they existed.

Note also, that languages are not left-to-right or right-to-left, but rather scripts are: Malkuth and מלכות are the same word, and so in each case the language is Hebrew, but in the first case it is Hebrew in Latin script, while in the second it is Hebrew in Hebrew script. Likewise hedgehog and הדגהוג are both the same word, in English in Latin script and English in Hebrew script respectively. There are languages which are commonly found in more than one script.

share|improve this answer
the Hebrew word represented would, phonetically, malchut (with the gutteral ch), not malkuth. The second, in Hebrew, reads "hed-g-hoag" -- to write the J sound in modern Hebrew, you would need to put something akin to an apostrophe above and to the left of the gimel. – Dan Dec 20 '12 at 14:10
@Dan malkuth is the most common transliteration into Latin for English readers that I've seen, though I've also seen malchut and malkut. I agree that it's a nuisance to transliterate in such a way that leads to easy mispronunciation, but it does remain the most common. הדגהוג however was my own attempt at transliteration, so I'll happily accept correction. I do find upon googling that someone else has used the same spelling, though that hardly proves it was a good stab at it. – Jon Hanna Dec 20 '12 at 14:21
malkuth is wrong for a couple of reasons -- the word (meaning reign of, or kingdom) is spelled with a chaf, not a kaf so the middle sound would not be a "k". The th is often used for a sav because there is a sense that the sav is not a pure s sound even for Ashkenazim. For the hedgehog, you have to invoke the contemporary apostrophe as Hebrew has no built in J. – Dan Dec 20 '12 at 14:41
@Dan, I see from books.google.com/ngrams/… that malchut seems to have recently taken the lead. I note also that malkuth was in the lead at the height of the popularity of writings of Mathers, Crowley, Regardie et al - so the blame may lie there (Regardie certainly noted a few transliterations as less than ideal, being the only of them whose familiarity with Hebrew would have gone back to childhood). Since my own knowledge is next to zero, I'll assume you are correct. – Jon Hanna Dec 20 '12 at 14:55
I knew all those year in yeshiva would eventually pay off. I'll tell my parents I have justified all that money ;) – Dan Dec 20 '12 at 14:58

I'm afraid you will be disappointed. The standard English terms for this are right-to-left (note hyphens) and left-to-right. There may be technical Greco-Latin vocabulary for this, but I couldn't find it, and if any such word exists it's extremely obscure and no one will understand it.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the suggestion.Anyways despite that I would wait for sometime. – Mistu4u Dec 20 '12 at 13:00

Per Wikipedia, the standard terms for these directionalities are the quite obvious right-to-left and left-to-right, plus of course the ever-popular boustrophedonic. There are also top-to-bottom and bottom-to-top.

Unicode uses those terms for embedding control characters to change the direction of writing as follows:

        * commonly abbreviated LRM
        * commonly abbreviated RLM
        * commonly abbreviated LRE
        * commonly abbreviated RLE
        * commonly abbreviated LRO
        * commonly abbreviated RLO
share|improve this answer

You could use Dexter and Sinister. Dexter means to the writer's (and reader's) right, as in modern English and romance languages... While Sinister means to the writer's (and reader's) left, as with modern Arabic, Hebrew and Urdu.

share|improve this answer
I disagree that these Latin-derived words may be used as acceptable substitutes for "right-to-left" and "left-to-right". Outside a particular jargon, in modern English, "Dexter" is rarely encountered except as a proper noun, and "sinister" is almost exclusively used as a synonym for baleful or malign. – scottb Jan 9 at 20:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.