English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Literature review is a big part of my life. I usually use “[Scientist] conducted a research using data from” to state a previous study.

Do you have recommendations of other verbs to use? I am tired of keeping using conduct (and I am not sure whether it is correct) and really want to diversify.

share|improve this question
"Conducted a research" sounds incorrect. Usually, we'd see "conducted a research study" or something. – Kit Z. Fox Dec 19 '12 at 18:20
@Kit: I just edited that very thing. OP no doubt made a typo, since the question is "The verb before 'research'," not "The verb before 'a research'." – Robusto Dec 19 '12 at 18:20
I doubt it was a typo. It's a common ESL marker. I think it should stand unedited in the question, especially since there is already one answer which refers to it. – MετάEd Dec 19 '12 at 18:24
@MετάEd: I edited before the question was answered. – Robusto Dec 19 '12 at 18:29
*A research is incorrect. I've only encountered it in Indian and Chinese Englishes, where it appears to be entrenched in academic circles. In the US research is never a singular count noun; researches occurs, meaning different types of, or an awful lot of, research. But individual projects are a research project/paper/thesis/dissertation/lab, etc. And one uses whatever verb is appropriate for those words; none is appropriate for *a research – John Lawler Dec 19 '12 at 20:16

You actually can’t conduct a research, because it is not a count noun.

But you can conduct, do, pursue, guide, lead, head, preside over, or engage in research.

Other more courageous terms include chaperon, shepherd, and trailblaze.

share|improve this answer
That's a good point. – Stefanie Dec 19 '12 at 18:22
Carry out seems to have been missed. – Edwin Ashworth Dec 19 '12 at 20:10
Courageous? Fools rush in where angels (and even Humpty Dumpty) fear to tread! – FumbleFingers Dec 19 '12 at 22:35

Can you use:

Scientists. . .





share|improve this answer
I like these words! Thank you~ – Stefanie Dec 19 '12 at 18:53

Besides the suggestions offered already, you could look up synonyms of conduct in a thesaurus. This should give you candidates such as directed, performed, oversaw, etc.

Another alternative is to query a collocations database such as this one. Querying it with the string [v?d*] research threw up words such as established, compiled, and pursued.

share|improve this answer
Thesaurus is a good idea! Thank you! – Stefanie Dec 19 '12 at 22:07
I'm sure pioneered does indeed often turn up before research, but it wouldn't suit OP's context at all, which specifically mentions a relationship to a previous study. – FumbleFingers Dec 19 '12 at 22:38
+1 for using COCA – jlovegren Dec 20 '12 at 0:33
@FumbleFingers Good point. I hadn't noticed that. – coleopterist Dec 20 '12 at 3:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.